Built on the opposite side of the River Fal to its sister Castle Pendennis, St Mawes Castle was built by Henry VIII in 1545 to counter invasion threats by France and Spain and protect the largest natural harbour in the country. It has 3 tower almost clover leaf shape and during the civil war it surrendered to the Parliamentarians without sustaining major damage and as such is very well preserved. The view of Falmouth town and the river is fantastic and there are frequent boat trips to the other side of the river.
It is maintained by English Heritage and contact details are as follows.
St Mawes Castle
Cornwall TR2 3AA